"Why do the wrong people travel, when the right people stay at home?" - Noel Coward

Monday, August 07, 2006

More Chile...

Now I realize that the entry for Chile lacked my usual verbosity, and while for some this may have been a blessed relief, my die-hard fans (Hi Mum!) may have been a little disappointed. Actually, you may have noticed on the last Chile entry a comment left by my parents, so I would like everyone to welcome Frank and Vivian to the Internet! It's great to have you guys with us, just be careful in the chat rooms, ok?

Anyway, here are some pictures from our skiing in the Andes at Velle Nevado:
On a less than thrilling to anyone but me, I had some essential "lady maintenance" done in Santiago. Hardcore manicure and pedicure, and other things not suitable for discussion in mixed company. I know it makes me superficial and emotionally deep as a puddle, but I felt so so so much better for it. That, plus a couple of opportunities to wear a dress and kitten heels and I was a happy girl.

On our field trip with Fernando we drove out to the coast and had an enjoyable and entertaining lunch in an exceptionally pretty (and moneyed) little town called Zapallar (I think). I was convinced to try sea urchins for the first time. They look like soft, tongue like pieces of coral, have a delightfully unusual texture and taste delicious!

Apparently the Japanese would pay $250 for this little lot...

We took a drive down the coastline and caught an amazing sunset and finished the day with a cocktail in Valparaiso (birthplace of Tom Araya, singer & bass player for Slayer for the Metal fact fans), then were delivered to our hotel door. Lovely.

Next day after a 4 hour lunch we staggered back to the hotel and realized that we hadn't been to a vineyard yet, so slobbered at the the concierge to "just book us on something" for the next day. Turned out this was to the Concha y Toro Winery, the Microsoft-style wine producer of Chile! Maybe not the passionate owner-tour we had hoped for, but interesting non-the-less. Even got a bit of Vegas show style stuff when we were being told about the Casilliero del Diablo line

After that, one last visit to Mundo del Vino to stock up on wine to drink in Tahiti. It's a hard life...




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home